Spring pre-launch checklist
Before launching your boat this season, follow this spring pre-launch checklist.
- Inspect and lubricate seacocks.
- Inspect and replace hoses and hose clamps as needed.
- Replace worn or deteriorated zincs.
- Inspect props for dings, pitting and distortion. Make sure cotter pins are secure. Grip the prop and try moving the shaft; if it’s loose, the cutlass bearing may need to be replaced.
- Make sure the rudderstock isn’t bent.
- Inspect the hull for blisters, distortions and stress cracks.
- Make sure the engine intake sea strainer is properly secured and corrosion-free.
- Check the engine shaft and rudder stuffing boxes for looseness. After launch, recheck these items and through-hulls for leaks.
- Use a hose to check for deck leaks at ports and hatches. Renew caulk or gaskets as needed.
- Inspect rubber outdrive bellows for cracked, dried or deteriorated spots (especially in the folds); replace if suspect.
- Check power steering and power trim oil levels.
- Inspect the outer jacket of control cables. Cracks or swelling indicate corrosion; if present, replace the cable.
Feel at home on the water
Learn to boat with confidence by taking the Boat Handling course online from America’s Boating Club.